Aetheogamy

By joan the english chick
Part 4

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5

Please read the Disclaimer in Part One!
Spoilers: "Gabrielle's Hope," but you have to look really hard.
Xenite Disclaimer for Part Four: No horses were harmed in the production of this fanfic.


Xena prowled through the Amazon village in the bright daylight, observing everything. She circled past the training grounds, where a few warriors were casually sparring. She skirted the edges of the communal dining area, where Eponin and the trainer Kyana were directing the teenagers as they set up for the party. Xena was looking for her doppelganger, her alter ego amongst these vibrant Amazons, but she didn't see her.

Xena did a circuit of the entire sprawling Amazon village, marking the positions of the sentinels, observing the more domestically-oriented women as they cooked and cleaned. In one clearing she noticed from afar her small half-sister Mimi, playing with Ephiny's son Xenon and a few others. The sight of the children made Xena wince, and she stole quietly away.

After about half an hour of searching in this manner, Xena found her way back to the small square outside of Ephiny's home, where she found Argo, patiently chewing a scrap of grass. Xena blinked at the sight and shook her head, mentally kicking herself. Starting to get soft, she told herself, and frowned for a moment, remembering the last time someone had said that to her. She shook it off and took Argo's reins.

"Come on, girl."

The horse snorted softly and followed Xena to the stables. She shoved the door open with a shoulder and led Argo inside.

Not terribly to Xena's surprise, Anaira was there, seated on a low stool outside one of the stalls. A saddle lay across her lap, and she was engaged in fixing it, a large needle in one hand. She looked up as Xena and Argo entered, and raised her eyebrows.

"Xena."

"Anaira," the warrior replied, leading Argo to an empty stall. There was silence while she removed the saddle, found a feed bucket, and got Argo settled in. When Xena emerged from the stall, she found Anaira watching her.

"How's Gabrielle?"

"Resting. She'll be all right."

"We heard some terrible things," the other warrior said somberly. Xena nodded.

"Probably all true." They both grimaced.

"I'm sorry," Anaira said fervently. Xena shrugged, uncomfortable.

"We'll live." Her eyes narrowed then; she focused a piercing gaze on Anaira. "So what's going on with you and Ephiny?"

It was Anaira's turn to fidget. "Guess we broke up," she said unhappily. Xena scowled.

"Anyone can see that, by Tartarus. What happened?"

Anaira gave her a wry look. "Gabrielle send you?" She didn't wait for an answer. "Ephiny kicked me out when she found out - gods!" Abruptly, her mood changed from stoic to anguished. Her face contorted, holding back tears. "Xena, by the gods, you've got to do something." She took a shuddering breath and stared at the ceiling. "Not that there's really much anyone can do...."

"About what? What did Ephiny find out?" Xena demanded, moving closer. She went down on one knee, which brought them eye-to-eye. Anaira composed herself and met Xena's gaze without flinching.

"That I'm pregnant."

Xena blinked. "What?"

"You heard me, for Hades' sake." Impatiently, Anaira shoved the saddle off her lap onto the floor, and stood. "What a joke. I'm pregnant, Xena, and I don't know how it happened. Sounds incredible, doesn't it?" She snorted painfully. "I swore up and down to Eph that I haven't been with anyone, least of all any man. She didn't believe me. Why should she?"

"But how-" Xena rose slowly, staring at her friend in growing alarm. "How?"

"I told you, I don't know. There's no way -- well, obviously there is, because it happened. I wish I could explain it." Anaira turned to Xena and lifted her tunic, her head jerking a gesture of invitation.

Gingerly, Xena put out a hand and laid it on the other woman's belly. She frowned as her medical instincts kicked in. "I'd say you were about four months gone."

Anaira nodded. "That'd be my guess. It took longer than it should have for me to figure it out, because it was just so ... impossible."

"Do you think it could be ... you know?" Xena suggested tentatively. Anaira shrugged wildly, a hint of despair stealing back into her manner.

"I've called him and called him. He doesn't answer."

Xena's eyes narrowed again. She turned around and glared at the surrounding air. The horses shifted and nickered in their stalls.

"Ares!" Xena shouted. Both women tensed, holding their breath for a long moment.

Nothing happened.

Xena exhaled slowly. "That son-of-a...." She trailed off as she turned back, her eye catching the contents of another empty stall. She strode over and looked in.

The stall had been outfitted with a single bedroll; a small firepit had been constructed, and a bag full of clothing sat neatly beside it. Xena turned around again and looked at Anaira. The other woman shrugged.

"Gotta sleep somewhere."

"Surely someone would have taken you in. They can't all be against you. You're still one of them," Xena said angrily. "The training barracks, or-"

"No. I wanted it like this," Anaira interrupted firmly. "I'm enjoying the solitude, in a self-sacrificing sort of way. Besides, it lets me entertain my fantasies."

Xena sighed softly. "Leaving?"

Anaira's lips quirked, half smirk, half grimace. "Just get on one of the horses and disappear. Find some yarrow root to solve the ... problem ... and just go. Never look back."

"What about Mimi?"

"Well, that's why I haven't, isn't it?" She sighed now. "One of the other mothers has been keeping her. I didn't want her sleeping in the straw. I suppose I'll have to figure out what to do, eventually."

"There's yarrow around here. But you haven't used it yet," Xena pointed out. Anaira looked back at her and simply shrugged.

Xena closed her eyes and took a slow breath. A dozen different worries were bombarding her. She calmed her heartbeat and tried to concentrate, to prioritize. The safety of those she loved, and those they loved, came first. "Listen," she said, and opened her eyes. Anaira was watching her, trying not to look hopeful. "Just promise you won't do anything yet," Xena requested. "Give me some time to think. Talk things over with Gabrielle. Come to the party tonight. Leave it to me, at least for a day or two."

Anaira hesitated, then nodded slowly. "All right, Xena. I put myself in your hands, at least for a day or two."

Xena nodded acceptance. "Good." She turned to leave, then paused and turned back. "And, um ... try not to worry," she added half-heartedly. Anaira gave her a knowing look.

"Right," she replied sarcastically. Xena smirked and left.


Gabrielle lay on her bed, one arm covering her eyes against the piercing sunshine. Her thoughts chased each other around in circles, making her weary. She tried to breathe deeply and clear her mind of everything, envisioning a dark veil drawing itself over her eyes, obliterating all the thoughts, pleasant and un-, that tried to dominate. When that didn't work, she sighed loudly in frustration and opened her eyes.

A woman was standing beside the bed.

Gabrielle gasped and sat up halfway, but the woman raised a hand to stop her, and suddenly the bard recognized the face. "Artemis!" she exclaimed in awe and wonder, sinking back against the pillow. The goddess smiled gently.

"It's been a long, difficult year for you, Gabrielle. I know it has."

Gabrielle sighed again, feeling her lips quiver. "Yes."

"I'm sorry for that." The goddess's eyes were large and seemed to shine -- with unshed tears? "I want you to know that I - that I have felt your pain. That I have borne it with you, and wished I could bear it for you."

"Oh," said Gabrielle softly. But where were you when I really needed you? she thought bitterly, biting down on her tongue to keep from speaking.

Artemis looked sad. "Believe me, Gabrielle, if there had been anything I could have done to predict, or prevent, the terrible things that happened to you, I would have. Unfortunately, strange as it may seem to you, even we gods are not infallible. We make mistakes, and all too often, you mortals suffer for them. I can only tell you that I am sorry, and hope you will forgive me."

"I-" Gabrielle paused and cleared her throat, which was suddenly tight and dry. "I'll try."

"Thank you," her goddess said solemnly. "And I shall try, I promise, to keep you safe. It's not an easy task, but you bear my blessing. You may find it to be more of a curse, one day."

"I don't think so," Gabrielle protested weakly. Artemis nodded.

"No, we never do, do we?" She stepped forward and laid a cool hand lightly over Gabrielle's eyes. "My poor Queen. You need to rest. Time enough for doubts later."

The soft refreshing touch soothed Gabrielle, but she was startled out of her somnolence by a sudden noise: a scraping of wood on wood. Her eyes popped open in time to see Xena close the door behind her.

Gabrielle sat up in bed so fast that her head began to spin. "Artemis?"

"What?" Xena said, half amused, half alarmed. "Gabrielle, it's me."

"Xena - where -" Gabrielle looked around the small room in bemusement, rubbing her eyes, where the imprint of the goddess's fingers seemed to linger. "Was it a dream?"

"I don't know." Xena sat on the edge of the bed and regarded her with concern. "You saw Artemis?"

"She was here...." Gabrielle indicated the place where the goddess had stood. "I guess it must have been a dream." She blinked at her lover, trying to re-orient herself. "You're back already. That was fast."

"Fast?" Xena smiled at her. "It's been more than an hour."

"An hour?" Gabrielle repeated in amazement. "I barely feel like I fell asleep at all."

"Well, do you feel rested?" Xena asked seriously. Gabrielle paused, flexing her fingers experimentally as she took stock.

"Yes ... I guess I do," she said slowly. She turned her attention back to Xena. "So, did you find Anaira?"

"Yes." Xena's expression turned grim. "But I'm still not sure what to make of it." Swiftly, she explained what Anaira had told her. Gabrielle listened with dismay.

"But ... that can't be," the bard exclaimed when the warrior wound down. "I mean ... how is it possible? It must be the work of some god."

"That's what I figure," Xena replied darkly. "Ares seems the most likely, but he wouldn't respond when we called him." She looked at Gabrielle's anxious face. "But don't worry. I'll make him show, one way or another."

Gabrielle reached out and grasped a lock of dark hair that was brushing against Xena's shoulder. The bard fingered the silky strands moodily, feeling her inescapable circle of thoughts start up again. Xena watched her in silence.

The moment of glum introspection was broken by a diffident knock on the door. "My Queen?" said a voice, muffled by the wood.

Xena stood up, Gabrielle's fingers trailing across her shoulder as she moved. The dark warrior moved to the door and opened it.

"Surya," she said by way of greeting the sentinel outside.

"Xena," the Amazon replied amicably, peering around my shoulder. "My Queen!"

"Surya, come in," Gabrielle said warmly, shifting toward the edge of the bed. The Amazon entered, bearing a tray.

"Queen Ephiny asked me to bring you a bit of a snack," she explained, gesturing with the tray. "She thought you might need it to get you through the party."

"Very thoughtful of her," Xena said, taking the tray. Gabrielle held out her arms and Surya came forward to hug her.

"It's good to see you again," Gabrielle murmured. "It's good to be here."

"Everyone's so excited about your visit," the sentinel replied. "It's so much nicer to have you here when there's not a war going on."

Gabrielle smiled with real humor. "The feeling is mutual," she said firmly. Surya beamed. "So, what about this party?" Gabrielle added brightly. Xena cleared her throat and stepped forward, holding the tray out meaningfully.

"Um, the preparations aren't really finished yet," Surya admitted, moving quickly toward the door. "I'll just come and get you when everything's ready, okay?"

"Thanks for the food," Gabrielle called as the door closed behind the sentinel. The bard looked at Xena.

"She sure left in a hurry."

"Hero worship," Xena diagnosed with a slight grin, handing her a piece of nutbread. "Better get used to it."

Gabrielle returned the smile, but it quickly sank into a grimace. "Xena, I don't know if I can. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea."

"Gabrielle," said Xena, putting a warm hand on her knee, "we just got here. You've barely had a chance to rest, let alone start any of the talking or thinking we both need to do. Let's let that go and enjoy the party. There'll be plenty of time for ... everything else ... starting tomorrow."

Gabrielle sighed, then nodded. "You're right. The party will help us get settled. And then, tomorrow...." She trailed off, and managed another wan smile. "Hey, this is good nutbread."

"Have some more," Xena urged, taking a small piece and holding it to Gabrielle's lips. The bard opened her mouth and took it in, delivering a light kiss to Xena's fingertips as they withdrew. The warrior ducked her head, suddenly intent on studying the other food on the plate.

Gabrielle watched her lover and chewed, consciously telling her body to relax. As she let the tension go, she felt a long-absent warmth slowly beginning to spread through her chest. The phantom brush of the goddess's fingertips still tickled her forehead and she felt, briefly, at peace.


-->Go to next part
<--Go to previous part
topTop of this page
<----Back to Xena writings page
homeBack to EnglishChick.com

----------

joan the english chick
fic@englishchick.com
Last updated 14 December 1999