Aetheogamy

By joan the english chick
Part 1

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5

This is the sequel to Theodicy, which in turn was the sequel to Apotheosis. I strongly suggest you read both of those before reading this. I cannot be held responsible for any confusion that may result from reading this story without first reading its precursors.
Please note that "Theodicy" took place before the episode "Maternal Instincts" and this story takes place immediately after the episode "A Family Affair;" therefore, somewhere between six and nine months of Xena and Gabrielle's life have elapsed. This story assumes that "In Sickness and in Hell" never happened, and "A Good Day" is in the future. There will definitely be spoilers for all of the third season plus the first three episodes of fourth season.
Because Joxer appeared in "A Family Affair," it's necessary for him to appear here, for continuity's sake. He'll go away soon, I promise.

Disclaimer: Xena, Gabrielle, and any other characters you recognize are property of MCA/Universal and Renaissance, and are used without permission. This story is property of the author, namely me, and may not be reproduced, retransmitted, or posted anywhere without my expressed permission.
Warnings: This story is rated PG-13 at the moment, but may get a stronger rating later on. Do not read it if the idea of two women in love turns you off.
Spoilers: see above
Definition: aetheogamy (n) propagation or reproduction by unusual means or methods. (This botanical term is so obscure you probably won't find it in your dictionary. It is in the complete OED, but unless you have that monster handy, you'll have to trust me on this.)
Xenite Disclaimer for Part One:History repeated itself during the production of this fanfic.


Gabrielle found her sister by the well, an empty bucket sitting forgotten at her feet as she stared vacantly at the well's rope, which she was slowly plucking at with her fingertips.

"Lilla?" Gabrielle said softly. Her sister jumped and turned, wild-eyed, to look at her.

"Gabrielle," Lilla said, her tone half relieved, half fearful. She averted her eyes. Gabrielle moved to stand next to her, putting an arm around her shoulders.

"What's wrong?"

Lilla shook her head. "Nothing."

Gabrielle gave her sister's shoulders a squeeze. After a moment, Lilla heaved a deep sigh and spoke again.

"I'm sorry, Gabrielle. It's just all so hard to understand."

"It's been a rough couple of days," Gabrielle agreed. Lilla nodded shakily.

"First that -- that person shows up and we thought it was you. We were so happy to have you, I mean her, I mean...."

"I know," Gabrielle said gently. "She was my daughter. She used my image to get close to you."

Lilla shook her head again. "Your daughter ... And then the real you shows up, and says that the other you wants to kill us ... and now we find out you were dead, but you came back from the other side, and...." She broke off, her voice quivering, Gabrielle echoed her sigh.

"I'm sorry, Lilla. I didn't realize how strange it all must seem to you. I only wan-"

"Doesn't it seem strange to you too?" Lilla broke in. "Gabrielle, three years ago you were just another ordinary girl here in Poteideia, just like me or anyone else. The strangest thing that ever happened was a cow having two calves or Dad cooking something edible." They both snorted softly. "But now you talk about evil gods and demon babies and the Land of the Dead like it's all just another market day. It's...." Her sudden burst of loquacity seemed to wear off and she sagged slightly under Gabrielle's arm. "It's just strange."

"It's scary, you mean," Gabrielle said slowly, closing her eyes briefly. "I'm sorry. I don't know what else to say. I know how it all sounds. Somehow when you're living through it, it seems ... I don't know ... more normal, I guess."

"If you say so," Lilla muttered toward her feet. Gabrielle sighed again.

"Listen, Lilla, you're my sister, and no matter what else, I love you. I wish I could stay here and talk to you for days and days and make you understand what's happened to me. But Xena wants to get moving...." She paused, feeling how her sister tensed at the mention of the name. "I think we're going to leave early tomorrow morning," she finished carefully. Lilla still wouldn't look at her.

"You're going to see the Amazons," she stated. Gabrielle nodded.

"Yes, at least for a couple of days, to regroup and deal with everything that's happened. To figure out where we go from here."

"Are you really their queen?" Lilla's voice was tinged with wonder. Gabrielle grinned with embarrassment.

"Well, yeah, sort of," she admitted. Lilla turned her head finally, and regarded her older sister with a mixture of apprehension and awe. It made Gabrielle distinctly uncomfortable, and she fidgeted slightly.

"I want to come along," Lilla said at last. Gabrielle raised her eyebrows in surprise.

"You -- what? But Lilla-"

"No, really ... please, Gabrielle," Lilla insisted. "I want to see what Amazons are like. I want to see you being their Queen. Don't you see? In three years you've changed so much. You're not the same girl you were when you left, but I am. I haven't changed at all."

"Well, that's not true," Gabrielle protested weakly, but she knew it was.

"Yes it is. I've never even been farther from home than the next village. I want to see it, to help me understand you. Please," Lilla entreated, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. Gabrielle stared helplessly at her.

"I'll talk to Xena," was all the bard could promise. Lilla nodded, and together in silence they lowered the bucket into the well and drew it up, brimming with cold water.

"Let me get that," said Xena, appearing from the direction of the barn. She reached between them and grasped the bucket handle. Lilla pulled her hand back as if it had been burned. Gabrielle gave her lover a hooded look.

"Thanks, Xena," the redhead said carefully. Xena grunted and turned toward the house.

After a moment, Gabrielle followed her inside. Lilla stood by the well, watching them go.


The sun had barely begun to peek over the horizon before Xena was up, bringing Argo out into the courtyard to inspect her hooves and legs in preparation for the next journey. Nearby, Hecuba was feeding the chickens, and the warrior was well aware of the older woman's gaze on her as they both performed their chores.

When the chicken feed was all gone, Hecuba squared her shoulders and marched over to where Xena stood.

"Xena," she said, clearly struggling to keep her tone firm. The warrior was as polite as she knew how.

"Yes?"

"You've taken one of my daughters already. Please don't take the other."

Xena's hands stilled. She looked directly at Hecuba. "I never asked either of your daughters to come with me," she said, quietly, but with force. "In fact, if you'd been there, you would have heard me tell them both to stay here. It's dangerous, I said. It's not a world for a nice girl, I said. My life is hard and cruel, I said." She paused to get her voice under control. "But Gabrielle didn't listen, and every day I thank the stars and the sun for that. If Lilla's anything like her sister, she won't listen to me either. Or to you," she added with only the slightest touch of humor.

Hecuba stared at her. "Xena, I'm not blind," she said, also quietly. "I can see that you love Gabrielle, and she loves you. But it's just not right to put her in such-"

"Well, you know love," Xena interrupted flippantly. "It's never convenient. That's life."

Hecuba bristled, and would certainly have said more if the door to her house had not opened and her husband not come storming out.

"Xena," he growled angrily. The axe was once again in his hand. His two daughters emerged close behind, followed in turn by Joxer.

"Dad, stop it," Gabrielle said, but he ignored her. His gaze never wavered from Xena.

"I told you to leave once, and you didn't listen," Heterodotus accused. "This time you're going to listen, understand?"

Xena gave him and his axe a disdainful look. "I'm leaving," she said as if talking to an idiot.

"Good," he said, seeming to become only more angry. "My daughters are staying here."

Silently, Gabrielle moved forward, pushing past her father to stand by Xena's side.

"I'm sorry," said Xena, and she sounded like she honestly meant it. "Lilla can and should stay here. I don't want her with us. It's too dangerous and she won't like it. But Gabrielle comes with me. I made her a promise."

"What? To keep her safe?" Hecuba asked bitterly. Gabrielle answered before Xena could.

"No, Mother," the bard said. "To keep me happy. Which I can't be unless I'm with Xena."

Heterodotus started forward with the axe, but Xena, scowling, simply reached out and twisted it from his grasp. She shoved it into Joxer's chest; the would-be warrior grabbed it instinctively. Xena turned and swung up onto Argo's back.

"We'll come back and visit," Xena said over Argo's head to Hecuba, who made no effort to hide her tears as Gabrielle embraced her. Then quickly, before her father could mount another attack, Gabrielle reached up and took Xena's hand, and the warrior pulled her up. Gabrielle settled in behind Xena, her hands resting securely on her lover's waist.

As Argo was starting forward, Lilla rushed in front of her and grabbed the reins. "Xena, please," she entreated. Xena jerked Argo's head aside, pulling the reins from the girl's grasp.

"You don't like me any more than I want you," the warrior said. "Why would you want to trust me with your life? Your sister did, and her life is exactly what it cost her. Stay here." She guided the horse carefully around the girl and then spurred Argo quickly into a trot.

Lilla pressed her lips together and held back tears. After a moment, she turned and ran into the house.

Joxer stood uncomfortably beside the two bereaved parents for a moment, gazing after Argo. Finally, embarrassed, he handed the axe back to Heterodotus and followed Lilla inside.

In another moment Joxer returned, looking confused. "Hey," he said to the couple, who hadn't moved. "I thought you guys had three horses. How come there's only two in the pasture?"

Hecuba and Heterodotus looked at each other in consternation. "Lilla!" the mother shrieked, running into the house. The father ran to the gate and stared down the path.

Joxer looked confused for a moment; then his face hardened in grim determination. "Don't worry," he said firmly to Heterodotus' back. "I'll bring her back." He turned and ran back toward the pasture.


"Xena," said Gabrielle quietly as they moved through the woods. Xena sighed.

"I know." The warrior pulled on the reins and brought Argo to a halt. They both slid to the ground and waited.

It was only a moment before another horse came into sight, Lilla crouched over its back. She sat up in surprise when she spotted them, and the horse came to a stop.

"Go back," Xena said, but her expression was resigned. Gabrielle was expressionless. Lilla looked defiant.

"I won't. I want to meet the Amazons."

"You realize," said Xena to Gabrielle, "this will destroy any chance I have of ever getting your parents to like me." Gabrielle made a face at her.

"Xena, please. Don't be mean."

"Mean?" Xena repeated incredulously. She strode over to Lilla's horse and took hold of its bridle. "Get down." Lilla looked anxiously down at her.

"But-"

"Get down," Xena repeated with barely controlled patience. "A second horse will only slow us down in the long run."

Still looking nervous, Lilla slid to the ground. Xena patted the horse's nose, reassuring it, and looked back in the direction from which they had all come. "Perfect," she said sourly. Just then, Joxer appeared, riding another of Gabrielle's parents' horses.

"Joxer," said Xena, holding up the reins. "Take this horse back to the farm."

"Xena," said Joxer firmly, "I've come to take Lilla back to -- What?"

"Take the horse back," Xena instructed, pushing the reins into his hand. "Tell them Lilla will return to them in a few days. I'll make sure she's safe. They won't believe it, but tell them anyway."

"But-"

Xena interrupted for what felt like the dozenth time today. "Shut up, Joxer. Just do it. Don't make me tell you again."

Cowed, Joxer turned both the horses around and returned the way he had come.

"Gabrielle," said Xena, turning back to the sisters, "get back on Argo. We have a lot of ground to cover."

"I can walk," Gabrielle said. She and Xena locked eyes. There was a silent battle of the wills for a long moment, during which Lilla looked anxiously from one woman to the other, fidgeting.

At last Gabrielle relented. "Oh, all right," she said, rolling her eyes. She allowed Xena to help her back up onto Argo's back, and they set off again.

"I'm really fine," Gabrielle insisted quietly as they made their way along the forest path.

"Can't be too careful," Xena replied, and that was the end of that.

"You certainly seem fine for someone who was dead a few days ago," Lilla ventured timidly. Gabrielle gave her a small smile. Xena looked away so that neither sister saw her expression.

"Um, how long do you think it'll take us to get to the Amazons?" Lilla tried. Xena stared at the path ahead of them.

"Probably get there by midday tomorrow," she replied. Lilla nodded slowly. Gabrielle couldn't keep a smile from spreading across her face.

"I can't wait to see Ephiny again. And Anaira, and Solari, and all the others -- just think how big Xenon and Mimi must be by now. I wonder if they'll even remember us."

"Mimi will remember us," Xena said gruffly, and cleared her throat. Lilla looked lost.

"Who's Mimi? Who are all those people you're talking about, Gabrielle?" she asked, a note of pleading in her voice. Gabrielle sighed.

"Well, it's a long story ... Ephiny is the Queen of the Amazons in my absence. My regent. Solari is one of her best warriors ... Anaira is a woman who became an Amazon last year. Xena and I introduced her to Ephiny...."

"I'm gonna scout ahead," Xena announced abruptly, and moved off with long strides into the underbrush. Gabrielle watched her go and scowled briefly.

"Is she okay?" Lilla asked. Gabrielle looked down at her sister.

"She'll be fine. What happened with Anaira and Mimi is kind of a sore topic." The bard went on to tell the story of how she and Xena had met Anaira, how they had helped her rescue her daughter from the God of War, and how mother and child had then joined the Amazons. It took a while in the telling, and Xena returned as Gabrielle was moving on to the tale of the war they had later fought against the renegade Amazons.

"Almost time to stop for lunch," Xena said when Gabrielle paused upon seeing her. "There's a stream up ahead. Anyone want fish?"

"I'm not hungry," Gabrielle said. Both Xena and Lilla looked worriedly up at her.

"Are you sure?" Lilla asked. Gabrielle nodded.

"I'll just have a piece of bread or something. You two go ahead and eat."

Xena's brow furrowed with displeasure, but she made no comment. They walked on in silence.


Continuity note: in "Theodicy" Gabrielle tells Ephiny and Xena the truth about Hope. In "Maternal Instincts" she does the same again. Oops. The reader will just have to pick which version s/he prefers, and try to pretend the other never happened. I know y'all are pretty skilled by now at willing suspension of disbelief, so you can handle it. :)

-->Go to next part
topTop of this page
<----Back to Xena writings page
homeBack to EnglishChick.com

----------

joan the english chick
fic@englishchick.com
Last updated 14 December 1999