Aetheogamy

By joan the english chick
Part 2

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5

Please read the Disclaimer in Part One!
Spoilers: "Bitter Suite" and basically the entire story arc up to "Family Affair"
Xenite Disclaimer for Part Two: Gabrielle's idyllic childhood memories were not harmed in the production of this fanfic.


True to her word, Gabrielle ate no more than a few bites of bread when they stopped for lunch. Xena caught only one fish, which she and Lilla shared. They rested briefly and then continued on their way. This time Xena walked with the two sisters, listening without comment as Gabrielle finished her story.

"So you convinced the renegades to rejoin the Amazons?" Lilla said in awe when her sister was finished. "That's amazing."

Gabrielle shrugged, unsure how to respond. Xena took over for her, unexpectedly.

"Yes, it is," the warrior agreed. "And your sister does things like that every day."

"Oh, Xena, that's not true," Gabrielle protested. Xena shrugged.

"Sure seems like it. You make everyone you meet a better person."

They traveled in silence for a few minutes, and then Lilla realized to her horror that her sister was crying. Silent tears ran down Gabrielle's cheeks and stained Argo's pale coat.

"Gabrielle?!" Lilla exclaimed in consternation. Gabrielle took a deep shuddering breath and wiped her wet cheeks with the back of a hand.

"I'm just tired," she said, her voice soft but steady. Neither Xena nor Lilla believed her, but they let it lie.

The three women and the horse traveled the rest of the afternoon in silence.

As darkness drew on, Xena brought them to a halt in a small clearing. "Might as well stop for the night," she commented quietly. "Lilla, gather some firewood. Please," she added belatedly. Pressing her lips together into a thin line, Lilla obeyed.

Gabrielle slid down from Argo's back and stumbled, catching hold of the saddle for balance. Xena was at her side in an instant, holding her up.

"I'm fine," the bard insisted stubbornly. "My legs are just stiff from riding all day."

"You don't have to learn everything from me," Xena told her. Gabrielle sighed.

"Is that what you think? Xena, will things ever be back to the way they used to be between us?"

"Doubt it," Xena replied honestly. "So much has changed...."

"I still love you," Gabrielle told her. "Why does it seem like that isn't enough any more?"

"You are tired," Xena said. "You need time to rest and adjust to everything that's happened. The last few months have been-"

"Terrible." Gabrielle shuddered involuntarily.

"Awful," Xena agreed. "We can never forget them, but we need to move on somehow."

"You make it sound so easy."

"No ... not easy, but necessary. It may be the hardest thing we've ever done, but we can do it ... together."

"You keep saying that." Gabrielle couldn't keep the smile from her face, although it was a pale and weary smile. "You almost make me think that together we're invincible."

"I love you, Gabrielle," Xena said seriously. She leaned down, and their lips brushed softly. "I hope you're hungry now," the warrior added.

"Very," Gabrielle lied. "I'll unpack the cooking things."

"I'll go see what I can catch," Xena said. She turned as Lilla emerged from between two trees with an armful of wood. "I'll be back."

"Gabrielle, are you sure you're okay?" Lilla asked, depositing her firewood on the ground. The two sisters knelt side by side and began to construct a firepit.

"I'm just a little wound up from the last few days," Gabrielle assured her. "A few days of rest among the Amazons will have me good as new."


Over dinner Gabrielle made an effort to be merry, telling Lilla about Autolycus and the various adventures in which he had accompanied them, but both her sister and her lover noticed that the bard ate very little, picking lightly at the birds Xena had caught. She was skilled at making it appear that she was eating a lot, when in reality she took only a few bites and spent a lot of time licking her fingers or sipping slowly at the waterskin. Lilla's farm-trained eyes were studying Gabrielle's muscular arms and legs, while Xena's more jaded gaze was on the bard's mouth. But again, neither woman said anything, and when the food was gone and the fire had dwindled to embers, they all wrapped themselves in bedrolls and curled up under the stars.

"Good night, Lilla," Gabrielle said softly. "I'm glad you're with us."

"Good night, Gab," Lilla replied, her chest strangely tight. She cleared her throat and added, "Good night, Xena."

"Good night, Lilla," Xena replied distractedly. She rolled over and looked at Gabrielle's back. "Good night, Gabrielle."

"Night," Gabrielle murmured almost too softly to be heard. Silence fell.

Lilla dropped off to sleep almost immediately, but Xena lay awake for a long time, first listening to Gabrielle's carefully stifled sobs, then to her slow calm breathing. The stars twinkled in Xena's eyes, seeming to mock her. At last she closed her eyes, and a tear of her own leaked across her cheek.


Gabrielle awoke to the sound of voices lowered nearly to whispering. She opened her eyes, studied the pattern of leaves and pebbles and twigs on the ground, and strained to make out the words.

"...kids," said Lilla's whisper. "I guess some things don't change."

"No, some things don't," agreed Xena's whisper. "Why doesn't that surprise me?"

Gabrielle was surprised, though, to hear her sister giggle quietly. "I remember this one time we went to visit our aunt and uncle in the next village, and when the sun rose that first morning, Gab-"

"I had a cold. I wasn't feeling well," Gabrielle announced petulantly, rolling over to glare at the other two women. They both looked over at her in surprise; Xena's expression was tense. "Why doesn't anyone ever believe me?" Gabrielle asked, lightening her tone. Xena relaxed.

"It's okay, Gab," Lilla teased. "Not everyone can be an early riser. It's human nature."

"Yeah, human nature," Gabrielle grumbled, sitting up. "Like it's human nature for a little sister to never forget an embarrassing story?"

"Hey, I needed some ammunition to get you back for all your torture!" Lilla retorted. Xena held out a cup toward Gabrielle.

"Here, have some tea, sleepyhead. And there's some more fish."

"No thanks," Gabrielle demurred too casually. "We probably ought to get going, right?"

"No rush," Xena replied, equally casually, but her eye was on the sky. The sun peeked through the leaves and stabbed at Gabrielle's eyes. The bard winced and buried her face in the teacup.

"I don't know why you won't let me put something on that," Lilla said to Xena, with the air of one resuming an interrupted conversation. "It doesn't look too good." She nodded toward Xena's arm, where the wound left by Hope's child's claws still festered. Gabrielle raised her eyebrows at the sight.

"Xena, that looks awful. Is it infected?"

"It'll heal," the warrior declared firmly, and stood up, ending the argument. "I'm taking Argo to the stream for a drink, and then let's get packed up, okay?"


When they resumed their travel, Xena tried again to insist that Gabrielle ride, but the bard stood her ground this time. The warrior relented, but Gabrielle was dissatisfied. She didn't like the way Xena was treating her -- almost like an invalid, as if she couldn't care for herself, let alone make decisions about her own capabilities. It was getting on her nerves.

You're just jumpy because of everything that's happened, she told herself silently as she picked her way between the trees beside Argo. After all, Xena thought you were dead for all that time -- why shouldn't she be a little cautious with your health? But her annoyance, illogical as it was, couldn't be rationalized away. To top it off, Lilla was shooting worried looks toward Gabrielle out of the corners of her eyes, which only made the bard more irritable.

Gabrielle stumbled as they moved through the trees and came upon the path again. The smoother ground had caught her unawares and she quickly recovered, but once again Xena was swiftly at her side, reaching out to take her elbow. Gabrielle jerked her arm away.

"I'm fine," she snapped, and stomped off down the path. Lilla watched her go and then turned her wide-eyed gaze on Xena. The tall dark woman merely scowled and resumed walking, leading Argo. Lilla bit her lip as she fell in behind.

Xena lengthened her stride, slowly closing the distance between her and Gabrielle, and forcing Lilla into a trot to keep up. When they were within a few yards of the bard's rigid back, Xena spoke, raising her voice to carry.

"This is all new to me too," she said almost apologetically. "I'm just trying to hold everything together."

"You don't need to hold everything together," Gabrielle replied, her words dissipating in the thin morning air before her, trickling back like wisps of smoke. "I can handle my half. That's what partnership is supposed to be about."

"I know," said Xena contritely. "I've never had a real partner before."

Recognizing that this was the closest she was going to get to an apology, at least in front of her sister, Gabrielle slowed her pace and allowed the others to catch up. Nothing more was said, but Xena put her hand lightly on Gabrielle's shoulder, and the bard moved slightly closer, allowing their hips to brush gently. The atmosphere between the three women seemed to lighten, and they traveled on in a more comfortable silence.

They made good time; the sun was reaching its zenith as they diverged from the main road and set foot on the smaller path leading to the Amazon village. A rustle in the trees and the hooting of an artificial bird heralded their progress; moments later, Lilla gasped in alarm as half a dozen armored, masked, befeathered warriors dropped from the trees to block their path.

Smiling, Gabrielle leaned her staff against Argo's flank and raised her hands, clasping them above her head. Xena made the same gesture, and after a moment of confusion Lilla followed suit.

The Amazon at the front of the group pulled off her mask, and her eyes twinkled with delight as she spoke solemn words of greeting. "My Queen," she said, "your presence honors us!" The other Amazons pulled off their masks as well and knelt. Gabrielle's smile widened.

"Eponin," she greeted happily, holding out her arms. After only a moment's hesitation, the other Amazon came forward and they embraced warmly. "Oh, get up, the rest of you," Gabrielle said over Eponin's shoulder. The other Amazons rose, and for the first time Lilla noticed how young they were -- barely into adulthood, most of them.

Eponin was clasping Xena's arm, and then Gabrielle was pulling Lilla forward. "This is my sister Lilla," she introduced. "She's come to see what being an Amazon is really all about. This is Eponin, one of the best warriors we've got. And a great friend."

"Very pleased to meet you," Lilla said courteously. Eponin gave her a friendly nod.

"The sister of our Queen is always welcome." She turned quickly back to Gabrielle. "But we had better get you to the village, or it'll be my head. Ephiny's already going to be angry enough that you didn't give us enough warning to prepare a proper greeting."

"Oh, thank goodness," Gabrielle said good-naturedly as they all turned and continued toward the village. "All that pomp and circumstance isn't for me anyway. I can handle Ephiny. Her bark is worse than her bite."

"That's just because you're the Queen," Eponin cautioned, smirking at the expressions of the younger Amazons. "If you were her junior you wouldn't dream of crossing her."

"No, I'm sure I wouldn't," Gabrielle agreed in exaggerated tones, winking hugely. Eponin laughed. Lilla found herself grinning in amazement, but when she glanced over to see whether Xena was sharing the joke, she found the warrior wearing her usual inscrutable mask.

Gabrielle sure seems happier among these Amazons, Lilla thought. She got about a hundred times more relaxed the minute we entered their territory. So why does Xena look like she's about to ride into battle?


-->Go to next part
<--Go to previous part
topTop of this page
<----Back to Xena writings page
homeBack to EnglishChick.com

----------

joan the english chick
fic@englishchick.com
Last updated 14 December 1999